Organic nursing pillows do not contain any synthetic materials. These pillows are essential for the first year of your baby. Additionally, besides nursing, they can be used in a lot of other ways.
A nursing pillow has been tailored to help bring your baby closer to the breast for easy latching and feeding. It also helps to nurse in a position that is more comfortable. Choosing and purchasing the best organic nursing pillow is definitely worth your time and money.
A lot of nursing pillows are made from polyurethane foam or polyester. However, these organic nursing pillows are different since they are made from natural materials like cotton. Just like other new moms, you will probably be using your nursing pillow a lot, and this article will guide you on which are the best organic nursing pillows.
What is a Nursing Pillow?
A nursing pillow is a crescent-shaped pillow that can be wrapped around mother’s tummy. It helps bring your baby closer to your breast while nursing.
Is A Nursing Pillow Necessary?
Getting a nursing pillow is highly recommended if your budget permits it. There will be a lot of time spent on nursing your baby during the first few months. Even if your plan is using formula supplements for your baby, using a nursing pillow can be helpful in propping your baby and have an easy time bottle-feeding.
It is safer to use non-toxic and organic nursing pillows as other nursing pillows may be made from materials that are petroleum-based. Material such as polyurethane or polyester could emit volatile organic compounds or toxic flame-retardants that the baby might inhale.
Different Ways of Using a Nursing Pillow
- It can be used to support your back during pregnancy
- It brings baby closer to the breasts for pain-free breastfeeding
- If you have a C-section scar, the nursing pillow takes pressure off the scar at the time of healing
- Offers support at the time of bottle-feeding
- Offers episiotomy pain relief when you sit on it
- Helps relieve the baby of re-flux in many cases
- It props the baby up when resting on the tummy
- Offers support as the baby learns to sit
Read on for our shortlist of some of the best organic nursing pillows in the market right now.
Best Organic Nursing Pillows
1. The Nesting Pillow by Blessed Nest
It is made in the USA, crescent-shaped, and filled with hulls of organic buckwheat. The contents can be shifted around and has a washable slipcover that is fully made from organic cotton.
It is my best friend nursing pillow of them all as it offers the best, most flexible and stable support for the mother and the baby during nursing time.
What I love about it
- It does not have any chemicals and the pillow insert can be easily removed and sanitized or washed and dried.
- The pillow can be molded just like a bean bag, conforming to the baby’s shape and provides great support, it is the best baby nursing pillow.
Something to keep in mind
- The Nesting Pillow is, however, compared to the other listed organic nursing pillows, not as useful for playtime activities and for tummy time.
2. Holy Lamb Organics Organic Cotton and Wool Shaped Nursing Pillow
This nursing pillow is made in the USA and it is another awesome choice to go for when looking for an organic nursing pillow. It is a U-shaped nursing pillow that is made from eco-wool battling and an organic cotton cover.
What I love about it
- This might be the best choice of a nursing pillow made from natural materials.
- The wool is a material of an excellent choice to be used for babies as they are thermal regulating and breathable.
- The pillow comes with a cover that can be gently washed, you can even buy extra covers.
3. Organic Caboose Nursing Pillow
This moon shaped nursing pillow is also from the USA. It has been made from organic cotton wool that is 100% certified and grown in the United States. Although it is a great pillow, it might not be as firm as other pillows listed above because its content is pure cotton. For the outer cover, one can choose either a blend of cotton and bamboo or pure cotton exterior.
What I love about it
- The pillow is not ‘C’ shaped, it rather has an ergonomic design making the nursing increasingly comfortable hence being a pure rest organic nursing pillow.
- The pillow can last even beyond the nursing period as it grows with the baby. The nursing pillow is hand-stuffed and covered with pure organic cotton.
- It is also versatile enough to be used during propping, feeding, sitting, and supporting. It comes with a separate cover and is toxin and chemical-free.
4. Nook Sleep Niche Feeding Pillow
This nursing pillow is neither too soft nor too hard as it has been filled with the organic kapok fill. This special fabric offers extra safety as it has been bathed in natural zinc that makes it anti-mold, anti-mite, hypoallergenic, and anti-fungal. It is the best twin nursing pillow.
What I love about it
- Although it is lightweight, it offers a perfect comfort and structure for bottle feeding and nursing.
- The Nook patented pebble fabric is water-resistant by nature, and therefore makes any spit-up, leakage, or other unforeseen accidents easily cleanable.
- The material of an organic pebble wrap is as soft as the skin of an infant. It helps in keeping the mother and the baby comfortable and comfortable and relaxed and is the best nursing pillow for newborn.
- It has a strategically tailored square shape, offering the biggest surface space for extended use.
The Bottom Line
Every organic breastfeeding pillow highlighted is the best nursing pillow in its own unique way. A good nursing pillow is among the essential nursery items that you as a nursing mother will use a lot.
Selecting an organic nursing pillow comes with numerous health benefits for the baby. Organic nursing pillows do not emit harmful chemicals such as the ones emitted by commercial nursing pillows that are made from polyester and polyurethane.
The best breastfeeding pillow has to have various features. First, the best shape is ‘U’ or ‘C’ for snuggling against your tummy or wrapping around the waist. It also has to fit, and the materials used should be safe for the baby’s health. A removable cover pillow makes the cleaning of a nursing pillow easier. Lastly, it should be BPA free and non-toxic.
Hope the above round up gives you a better idea of the best organic nursing pillows out there. To find out more about nursing and breastfeeding, read our reviews of the best organic nursing bras and breast pumps available.
If you’re pregnant and expecting a baby soon, them make sure you read our pregnancy guides which include great tips for back pain and insomnia with the lowdown on non-toxic pregnancy gear like pregnancy support belts, and the best and safest stretchmarks oils for pregnancy and post-partum.
If you’re new to organic and non-toxic baby products and want to know more about it for the safety and well being of your child, then I recommend you start here.