A crib is a child’s bed with side bars. The structure of a good crib ensures a child’s comfort and the side-bars ensure the little one’s safety. SAFETY on the whole is, in fact, the most important feature to look for while selecting a crib. That is why you should go for a non-toxic and organic baby crib.
Unfortunately in today’s time, side bars are not the only thing to consider while checking for a crib’s safety. The main cause of danger in cribs today is the possibility of the presence of toxins in the cribs’ paint or finish.
These toxins include lead, phthalates, formaldehyde (used in glues) and some Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) among others. They can cause problems such as immune dysfunction, hormone disruption, IQ and fertility problems and even cancer among children.
Most eco-friendly cribs are very highly priced – almost like a luxury product! But luckily there are a few cost-effective yet safe alternatives available. Before you move forward to read more, let’s take a quick:
Table of Contents
- 1 3 Best Non-toxic and Organic Baby Cribs in 2018: Quick Comparison
- 2 Reviews of the Best Non Toxic Cribs for your Baby
- 3 Best Non Toxic Paint for Cribs
- 4 Non Toxic Mattresses – My Favorite Safe, Chemical Free Mattress
- 5 Solid Wood Cribs with Non Toxic Finish
- 6 Non Toxic Cribs VS Non Toxic Cradle VS Non Toxic Bassinet?
- 7 Convertible Organic Baby Cribs
- 8 Crib Toxicity is a Serious Danger
3 Best Non-toxic and Organic Baby Cribs in 2018: Quick Comparison
|DaVinci Kalani||Babyletto Modo||Delta Children Emery|
|Supports good weight||Great pick for short moms||Wood Construction|
|Toddler Rail included||Toddler Rail included||Sturdy|
|Easy to Assemble||Easy to Assemble||Easy to Assemble|
|Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Reviews of the Best Non Toxic Cribs for your Baby
These organic baby crib brands follow safety regulations and ensure that the products they manufacture are non-toxic and chemical free. Their prices are also quite affordable. As a result, we have some reasonably-priced cribs that are a great choice safety-wise too.
The main causes of crib intoxication are the toxic paints used on these cribs or mattresses that go inside these cribs. I’ll come to that later, but first let’s go through my favorite organic cribs available in the US.
Here is a detailed review of the best non-toxic cribs with all their advantages and disadvantages.
DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Toddler Rail
Espresso, Cherry, Chestnut, Ebony, Honey-Oak, White
- Non toxic, safe and eco-friendly (Green-guard Certified! Meets ASTM international and U.S. CPSC safety standards and is JPMA certified)
- Made with solid wood (New Zealand Pine wood)
- Beautiful to look at
- Supports good weight and is sturdy
- Convertible into a toddler bed, day bed and full size bed. (The full size bed conversion kit has to be purchased separately)
- Toddler rail included (money saver)
- Easy to assemble with straightforward instructions
- 4 adjustable mattress levels or height settings. This means that you need one mattress but can set its height to either of the four levels. Hence, its a nice pick for short mums as it helps to easily place down a sleepy baby with a convenient height setting
- Sturdy mattress springs
- Railing gets teeth marks easily, crib can get scratched on rough handling
- The 3rd rail (for toddler bed) is only 1/3rd the entire length not ½ so, some parents might find it small
- Slight color variations possible due to use of natural wood which is by the way, a very safe material!
Babyletto Modo 3 in 1 Crib with Toddler Rail
Espresso, White, Grey, Espresso-White, Grey-White
- Non-toxic, eco-friendly and organic baby crib (Lead and Phthalate safe with non-toxic finish, JPMA Certified; meets ASTM International and U.S. CPSC Safety Standards)
- Pure wood (this crib is made with New Zealand pine wood)
- Gorgeous looks
- Nice pick for short mommies
- Converts into a day bed and toddler bed
- Toddler Bed Conversion Kit is included
- 4 adjustable mattress levels or height settings
- Sturdy mattress base made of metallic wire springs
- Fairly easy to assemble
- Like most baby furniture, this organic baby crib has to be handled with care due to its soft wood and paint
- Although majority of the buyers have been very pleased with this crib’s quality yet, in a few rare instances, some customers noticed a faint paint smell coming from the crib. In such a case, I would suggest you to let the crib off-gas before you use it. Off-gassing simply means keeping the crib in open or opening the room windows till the crib smell escapes. Activated bamboo charcoal bags are great odor absorbents and are 100% organic and safe.
Due to this crib’s size being slightly smaller than the usual crib size, please make sure you buy an appropriately sized mattress for it. Usually the standard mattress size works just fine.
Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Crib
White, Dark chocolate
- Non toxic – No harmful chemicals (JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM)
- Wood construction
- Easy to assemble!
- Convertible into a day bed, toddler bed and full size bed
- 3-position mattress height adjustment
- Toddler bed and full-size bed rail have to be bought separately.
- In the ‘dark-chocolate’ colored crib, some slight color variations have been reported in comparison to the pictures available online. No quality issues have been reported.
Always remember to make sure everything is intact and included in the package soon after it arrives so that you don’t exceed the returning period just in case something is not right!
Best Non Toxic Paint for Cribs
If the crib smells of toxic, chemical based paint and you’ve tried leaving it to off gas and have also tried activated bamboo charcoal, but none have worked, then I would recommend re-painting the crib with an eco-friendly, baby-safe paint.
The paint you choose has to be odorless and must not contain formaldehyde, lead or Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). I recommend Lullaby paints (available in multiple colors) – I’m thankful to them to them for creating something so amazing and useful.
Let me warn you – painting a crib is not easy! Cribs are complicated objects with a lot of difficult to access corners and small spaces. Before you start to paint, you’ll need to scuff sand the entire crib with a special sanding sponge. This will allow the new paint to take a strong grip and will also remove a layer of the existing toxic paint.
Once you’ve painted the entire crib and it’s well dried, you’ll find the toxic smell completely fade away over a few days.
Non Toxic Mattresses – My Favorite Safe, Chemical Free Mattress
Babies spend 12-16 hours a day sleeping on a mattress and I can’t begin to stress on how important it is that the mattress is eco-friendly and 100% safe for your baby. The Internet is full of horror stories when it comes to baby mattresses. Cases of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) have been linked to toxic mattresses, along with various other serious illnesses.
DIY – Make Your Existing Mattress Safe for Your Baby
If you’ve bought a mattress already and cannot afford a new one immediately, here’s an idea – mattresses containing foam may produce toxic smells, so may mattresses that have vinyl covers. The easiest way to protect your baby from those fumes is to cover the mattress with food grade plastic. Once you do that, cover the plastic with soft cotton bed-sheets to avoid suffocation.
If you’re ready to buy a non-toxic and organic baby crib mattress under $200, then have a look at The Lullaby crib mattress. I trust this brand and they don’t charge you an arm and a leg unlike 10s of non-toxic mattresses that cost way above $200.
Solid Wood Cribs with Non Toxic Finish
Safe baby cribs are made of natural, organic and eco-friendly materials such as real wood, and are free from any kind of poisonous chemical substances which can be harmful for babies.
Cribs are a wonderful bed option that has been used successfully for many years. Online, you will find cribs of all shapes and sizes – ones with built in storage, intelligently designed ones that can fit in small bedrooms and even ones that offer storage under the crib.
Non Toxic Cribs VS Non Toxic Cradle VS Non Toxic Bassinet?
Actually a cradle, bassinet or a co-sleeper also offers a great bed solution for the baby but the downside is that a baby usually outgrows these in a few months while a convertible crib can serve the same purpose for several years.
Convertible Organic Baby Cribs
With all the wonderful convertible cribs available in the market today, we can do a one-time investment for our child’s bed and have a crib that serves as an infant bed during the initial months and then transforms into a nice toddler bed and a day bed for the child’s toddler years.
In fact, numerous cribs come with a provision of being transformed into a full-size bed that can be used for the child’s teenage years as well.
Today, the market has a very wide variety of cribs to offer. There are beautiful cribs to suit our nursery’s interior and enhance the look of our house with their classy finish. A large range of colors that most cribs support add on to the charm and increase the temptation to buy a crib that matches our nursery’s décor right away.
However, it is essential to remember that while the appearance and cost of a crib may seem as important factors to consider when looking to buy a new crib, in reality, it is the ‘safety’ part of a crib that we must really be looking out for!
So, what are some of the things that we can search for to be sure that we’re going for a safe crib?
The structure of the best cribs available in the market provides stability and strength. The materials that make up the crib are eco-friendly and sturdy, the joints are securely assembled and the finish is absolutely smooth without use of chemical based toxic paints.
I used to have these factors ruling my decision-making while looking out to buy a safe baby crib.
But I was shocked to discover that the safety of a crib has much larger concerns than the ones that appear on the surface.
Crib Toxicity is a Serious Danger
Basically, the biggest danger to a crib is toxicity. Yes, toxicity!
Isn’t it alarming to know that a piece of furniture that you intend to buy for your little one’s safety can turn out to be highly poisonous and dangerous? I mean its not even food items that we’re talking about but furniture, actual furniture that can be a source of toxins and mess up with the health and development of a baby!
Toxicity is something that can be prevented completely only when the entire process of a crib’s creation is well guarded.
Only a selected number of crib brands actually take the pain to ensure that the cribs they create are safe for the babies.
Majority of toxin-free and organic baby cribs are very expensive but after a detailed research, I was able to dig out a few safe and reasonably-priced alternatives which are designed in accordance with the US safety standards and are non-toxic.
However, in order to give you a clear and transparent picture, I have also listed down all the possible disadvantages in each of the products so that you know exactly what you’re opting for, before making the final buying decision.
With a clear list of all the good and bad points, I sincerely hope that my reviews will help you pick a safe, organic, chemical free, eco-friendly and non-toxic crib option for your little angel.